Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fast Foods- Spicy Bean Soup

Part of being impulsive are those last minute, "hey that sounds good" kind of dinners, which is pretty much exactly what I did last night. I didn't really think to photograph anything, so i'll do my best to recreate how it all went down. Originally, dinner was going to be salad and some chicken noodle soup, but literally out of nowhere, the thought of a spicy bean soup popped into my head.

Did someone say Bean soup?
My thought was to use a chicken bullion base, add black beans and chili beans, corn, and onions. I started with some crushed up chicken bullion cubes, then added a can of black and chili beans, a can of diced tomatoes with jalapeno, a can of Mexican style tomatoes, and a can of corn. I let the mixture boil briefly, and then added minced onions and about 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder. It made it very sneakily spicy...mild at first, then a bite at the end.

The total cost of this soup was ridiculously low:
Chicken bullion- $2
Black beans- $0.69
Corn- $0.69
Chili beans- $0.69
Minced onions- $1
Diced tomatoes- $1
Mexican style tomatoes- $0.89
Total: $6.96
10 servings @ $0.696 per serving


No comments:

Post a Comment