Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fast Foods- Homemade Pizza

Weekend eating can be one of three things: 1) Leftovers 2) Take-out/Sit-down dining 3) Home cooked. I love Saturdays because I love making something that just doesn't fit into the week. Honestly, it's usually pizza of some sort. Granted, it can be a frozen pizza, delivery pizza, make-your-own with a pre-made crust, or what I did this past Saturday- made from scratch dough pizza. Growing up, making pizza with my parents was always a really special occasion.
D'oh!
I've never made my own dough before, and I thought that it was going to be tricky. Turns out that it's not. At all. 1 and 1/2 cups flour, a packet of yeast, a cup of water, 1/2 tsp of salt and a teaspoon of sugar and I was rollin'. To the crust for my pizza, I added about a tablespoon of garlic powder. I suppose that you can add whatever you'd like- next time i'll be adding Parmesan cheese and minced garlic. That'll be good.
Lisa's turkey and veggies pizza
Lisa wanted a pizza with white sauce, but since "white sauce" can mean anything, I figured that making one of my own would be good. I used a packet of Kroger alfredo sauce powder, milk, and Aldi buttermilk ranch salad dressing. I made it moderately thick, and then brought it to a boil on the stove and then let it cool. It came out with a a perfect consistency, and the taste....oh my. I could have eaten the whole pot by myself. It was cheesy, ranchy goodness. I will be making this again...but I want to use it as a pasta sauce with a rustic-style pasta and some pancetta. But that's for another day!
I love my ergonomic pizza cutter!
For toppings on her pizza, I decided to purchase a Lean Cuisine (i think?) frozen box of salad topper. It was like $2, and came with a bag of roasted turkey chunks, yellow and orange carrot slivers and broccoli. It was the perfect amount for a pizza. I added shredded mozzarella, and baked until the edges were golden brown.
When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie....
My pizza was decidedly more traditional, consisting of my homemade crust, canned pizza sauce, fresh mushrooms, pepperoni and mozzarella. I love the gigantic mushrooms though (from Aldi). They're the best i've had for the price.

So that's my pizza. Nothing groundbreaking, but certainly a lot of fun to make. I look forward to sharing this experience with my son as he grows up, and hope it's as special to him as it was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment